Sunday, March 29, 2020

Terminology Standards for Health Information Exchange in the times of SARS-Cov2


To provide better and cost effective patient care, one needs to exchange healthcare information. For this to happen seamlessly, there is a dire need of Standards that facilitate this interoperability.

A Standard denotes the ability of two or more systems or components to exchange information (structural or syntactic interoperability) and to (meaningfully) use the information that has been exchanged (functional or semantic interoperability).

The EHR Standards, 2nd edition, were notified by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India (MoHFW) in December 2016.

Subsequently, to give a boost to implementation of digital health in India, the National Digital Health Blueprint (NDHB) has been finally notified, and it also mentions a minimal set of standards to be used. It tries to define the standards required for ensuring interoperability within the National Digital Health Eco-system.

Also, now the Telemedicine Practice Guidelines have been notified by the MoHFW and NITI Aayog.

Categories of Standards for exchange of Health Information
The broad categories for Standards mentioned in the NDHB are those for Consent, (Clinical) Content, Privacy and Security, Patient Safety and Data Quality.

Currently for epidemiological purposes, all countries send reports to the WHO using the ICD classification system (current version is ICD-10, while ICD-11 has been formally released last year and will be applicable from January 2022). However, for getting better insights into the clinical data, SNOMED CT (a clinical terminology system) is the globally preferred standard and India has been a country member of SNOMED International since 2014. The basic differences of these two systems are summarized below.

     ICD (International Statistical Classification of Diseases) codes, from the WHO, have limited scope and granularity, summarizes and aggregates data into broad categories (for epidemiological purposes), and are mono-hierarchical (Each code is grouped into a single grouping) –
        No links to body sites or causes
        Groups multiple clinical meanings  together using a single code
        Does not always represent sufficient detail for clinical purposes

      SNOMED CT is broader in scope, more granular, allows data to be grouped and aggregated in different ways (poly-hierarchical), and to be queried, based on Relationships between the Concepts. Also, since it is inherently logical, developing Clinical Decision Support Systems (CDSS) is also relatively easier with SNOMED-CT enabled systems.

Presently mappings are available from to SNOMED CT to ICD-10 and its various adaptations. Therefore, if any system is SNOMED CT enabled, it is possible to report according to ICD-10 or 11 as may be the statutory requirement for epidemiological and public health purposes.

Updating for SARS-Cov2

Now, with the world being gripped by a new Pandemic, the SDOs (Standards Development Organizations) have also geared up and come up with pertinent standards for this novel Corona virus or Covid-19 (Corona virus Disease 2019) or SARS-Cov2 (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2). The World Health Organization (WHO) has named the syndrome caused by this coronavirus “COVID-19”, and the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) has named the virus SARS-CoV-2.

The COVID-19 disease outbreak has been declared a public health emergency of international concern. The WHO has included it into the ICD system:
o    An emergency ICD-10 code of ‘U07.1 COVID-19, virus identified’ is assigned to a disease diagnosis of COVID-19 confirmed by laboratory testing.
o    An emergency ICD-10 code of ‘U07.2 COVID-19, virus not identified’ is assigned to a clinical or epidemiological diagnosis of COVID-19 where laboratory confirmation is inconclusive or not available.
o    Both U07.1 and U07.2 may be used for mortality coding as cause of death
o    In ICD-11, the code for the confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19 is RA01.0 and the code for the clinical diagnosis (suspected or probable) of COVID-19 is RA01.1.

A more detailed breakup for ICD-10 is available at: https://www.who.int/classifications/icd/COVID-19-coding-icd10.pdf?ua=1

SNOMED International has come out by placing the concept under the parent Human Coronavirus (Organism): Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (organism) – SCTID: 840533007

840533007 | Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (organism) |
  en   Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (organism)
  en   2019-nCoV
  en   Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
  en   SARS-CoV-2
  en   2019 novel coronavirus

And, under Coronavirus infection (Disorder): Disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (disorder) – SCTID: 840539006
840539006 | Disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (disorder) |
  en   Disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
  en   COVID-19
  en   Disease caused by 2019 novel coronavirus
  en   Disease caused by 2019-nCoV
  en   Disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (disorder)

The Regenstrief Institute that develops the LOINC codes, is developing Special Use codes in response to an urgent or emergent situation. These codes are based on the most up to date information available at the time of their creation. They have undergone the normal QA terminology process. LOINC supports their use in the unique situation that resulted in their rapid creation. However, be aware that downstream users may not be ready to handle prerelease codes until they are published in an official release. The emerging codes for Covid-19 are available at: https://loinc.org/sars-coronavirus-2/

Conclusion

The pandemic of SARS-Cov2 is evolving, and, so are the Standards related to the exchange of health information because of the disorder and / or organism. Once the situation stabilizes a bit, the unambiguity in the semantic exchange of such information will also become clear.

References
  1. .      National Health Portal, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, EHR Standards. Available from: https://www.nhp.gov.in/ehr-standards-helpdesk_ms
  2. .      Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, National Digital Health Blueprint, 2019, Available from: https://main.mohfw.gov.in/sites/default/files/Final%20NDHB%20report_0.pdf (A compressed version is available at: https://main.mohfw.gov.in/sites/default/files/Final%20Report%20-%20Lite%20Version.pdf )
  3. .      Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, Telemedicine Practice Guidelines: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Telemedicine.pdf
  4. .      Sarbadhikari SN, The Role of Standards for Digital Health and Health Information Management, JBCR, 2019, 6(1):1: https://jbcr.net.in/JBCR-VOL-6-issue-1-2019-20/current-issues-volume-VI-issue-1-1.html

  1. Sarbadhikari SN, Digital Health in India - as envisaged by the National Health Policy (2017), Guest Editorial, BLDE University Journal of Health Sciences, 2019, 4: 1-6.
  2. SNOMED International, SNOMED CT Basics: https://confluence.ihtsdotools.org/display/DOCSTART/4.+SNOMED+CT+Basics
  3. WHO, ICD-10: https://www.who.int/classifications/icd/covid19/en/
  4. SNOMED International: http://www.snomed.org/news-and-events/articles/snomed-loinc-coronavirus-collaboration
  5. SNOMED International: https://browser.ihtsdotools.org/
  6. Regenstrief Institute, LOINC codes: https://loinc.org/prerelease/

13 comments:

  1. Most helpful at this present time. Thanks a lot for share with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS TO DR OSAZEE WHO CURED ME OF LUPUS DIESEASE WITH HIS HERBAL MEDICATION, MY DOCTOR HAS ALREADY GIVING THE NUMBERS OF DAYS AM GOING TO LIVE ON EARTH, DUE TO MY CRITICAL LUPUS DIESEASE CONDITION, BEFORE I SAW A TESTIMONY OF HOW DR OSAZEE HAS BEEN CURING PEOPLE OF LUPUS DISEASE ON THE INTERNET, AND I DECIDED TO GIVE IT A TRY, I WAS SURPRISED I GOT CURED WITHIN FIVE WEEKS WITH HIS HERBAL MEDICATION, YOU CAN ALSO REACH HIM VIA HIS EMAIL ON: DROSAZEHERBAL@GMAIL.COM OR WHATSAP HIM ON +2347089275769.

      Delete
  2. All thanks to this great herbal doctor who cured me from (LUPUS DISEASE) his name is dr imoloa.  I suffered lupus disease for over 8 years with pains like: joints, Skin rash,  Pain in the chest,  swollen joints and many more.  The anti-inflammatory drugs couldn’t cure me, until I read about his recommendation. 2 months ago, I contacted him through his email address. drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com . and he sent me the herbal treatment through DHL courier service and he instructed me on how to drink it for good two weeks. after then,  And I was confirmed cured and free at the hospital after taken his powerful herbal medications You too can be cured with it if interested, he also uses his powerful herbal healing medicine to cure disease like: parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,  Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,  Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms,  chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,  Cystic  Fibrosis,  Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, back pain,  impotence,  feta  alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, skin cancer,  tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel  disease, bone cancer, lungs cancer,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,  back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's  Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal  nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major  Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's  Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular  Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease      Contacts him today  and get permanently cure. contact him via... email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com  /whatssapp-+2347081986098.
    website-www drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me  or whatsApp  davidclara223@gmail.com +1(440)359-4106  

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2348110114739 you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura visit his website https://drsakurahealthclinic.wixsite.com/website https://sites.google.com/view/herbalistsakura https://drsakuraspellcentre.blogspot.com/ https://drsakuraspellcentre.wordpress.com/ for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is always beautiful when you are in good health. For almost 4 years I have been with herpes and I was lonely and sad. Fortunately I turned to a good and great doctor. to help me get back to health. completely cured my herpes.Today I am herpes free and very healthy. Many thanks. Dr ubarlo For returning my health. I will always be grateful. Dr ubarlo If you are reading this testimong and you have some kind of illness.(1) hepatitis.(2)cancer.(3) HIV.(4)herpes.(5) fibroids.6) ) (7) Cancer diabetes, you can also contact him on his email address drubarlohome@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348119508814

    ReplyDelete
  6. [ ] I'm here to testify about the great work Dr Ehimare did for me. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the past 5 years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of one lady on the internet testifying about a Man called Dr Ehimare on how he cured her from HIV Virus. And she also gave the email address of this man and advise anybody to contact Dr Ehimare for help for any kind of sickness that he would be of help, so I emailed him on ( Drehimare3@gmail.com ) telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Well i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr Ehimare assured me that i will be cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So - [ ] friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can contact Dr ehimare via email. { Drehimare3@gmail.com }or call or what sapp him on + 1 (267) 691-1087- [ ] DR Ehimare CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-- [ ] HIV/AIDS- [ ] HERPES- [ ] CANCER- [ ] ALS- [ ] cancer - [ ] Diabetes

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are a team of IT professionals specializing in creating real and
    authentic documents such as Passport, Drivers License, Covid19
    Vaccination Cards, Diploma Certificates, PhDs, IELTS Certificate,
    Bachelor’s Degrees, NCLEX Certificate, MBA, ID Cards, SS Cards and
    Associate specializes in Certificates, University Certificates, Green
    Cards, Death Certificates, Masters Degrees, Work Permits, Visas etc.
    Contact us for more information on email us at
    booking.deejaymarvay@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this useful information regards. Top-rated Telemedicine App Development Company provides healthcare app development services. Create a Telemedicine App that functions similarly to a smart medical app, allowing users to plan appointments, view real-time health data, track their health, and much more with a simple click. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank for sharing very useful information.
    Alteza holds an upper hand in Telemedicine App Development. We make telemedicine applications that will give the advantage of consultation anytime and anywhere for your patients.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello viewers I am glad to have met with the powerful herbal healer called
    Dr voodoo who use his herbs to cure my HIV disease I suffered from 15years,
    but now I am a happy woman and i am free from this sickness that has been
    problem to my living, after using Dr voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i
    was diagnose negative, I will recommend Dr voodoo to everyone reading this
    article because this herbal healer is capable to heal anything, the
    scientist said has no cure, Email him : voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or
    add Dr voodoo on whatsApp: +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing blog! Thank you for sharing.

    Pharmacoders is a mobile and web app development company and we provide Telemedicine App Development for healthcare practitioners, hospitals and clinics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you suffering from any of this disease/infection like herpesvirus, HPV, hepatitis, cancer or any kind of disease and you have been searching for a cure and you haven’t find any and you’re about to give up. Well, I’m here to let you know that all hope are not lost, dr kokobi is here to help you. His herbal centre is a place where you can get a permanent cure to any kind of illness/disease you’re suffering from. So kindly message him now kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com or whatsapp +2349158033857 For a cure

    ReplyDelete